Sunday, April 4, 2010

Ever think about adding a bike for utility reasons instead of simply recreation? You should

A few months ago, I found myself unemployed. I began seeking a new job, but also looking for a new career. Like many women, I started riding by buying a hybrid bike because I had a hard time ever picturing myself on a road bike. Of course, after trying to keep up on group rides, I eventually made the switch, but that's another posting...So I have this terrific Trek hybrid leaning against the unused garage door with car wash towels draped over the handlebars. I decided that it would be a great idea to ready that bike for errands so I could save some money and also add more activity.
I added a rack to my bike with a sturdy, special removable shoulder bag. I can use the bag for groceries or items from the drugstore or books from the library and then reattach it for transport home. Many companies offer these, the one I purchased I got from http://www.planetbike.com

It's likely that when I return to working, I will have to work twenty to thirty miles away as there are few nonprofits in my suburban community. As a rule, a 30-mile commute does not lend itself to convenience and it's unlikely I will pursue doing that. I can though, pick up a few items for dinner, go to the post office, stop for a cup of coffee in the morning or even take a trip to the gym, by hopping on the commuter hybrid. It reduces my footprint on the earth, saves a few bucks on gasoline plus adds a few minutes of physical activity to my day.
I find myself smiling as I coast over to the local Fresh and Easy market pull over to the Walgreen's.
It's important to have a good lock. I use a horseshoe lock. It doesn't matter what kind you use, one just wants to make sure the bike is secured while you are doing your shopping even if it IS your neighborhood and you feel safe there.

No comments:

What are you waiting for? Come out and join us...