Monday, April 12, 2010

Accomplishment is addicting

Yesterday, I had the privilege of cycling with five women. A few of these women are new to group riding. Saddling up and riding with women who are just learning is a great reminder of how far one has come. I could see the uncertainty each of them had when we started out. Each and every one of them had something to say that reflected a self-questioning not unlike the feeling of being in seventh grade getting ready for the first junior high dance. I could sense the angst when Gayle asked about how to maneuver through an intersection. I heard the wariness when Susan wondered if she would be able to keep up.

The ride was touted as an intermediate ride which means if the only cycling you have done is to ride a cruiser the two blocks to the coffee shop, this ride is not yet for you. Intermediate would mean you will be on the saddle for anywhere from 90 minutes to three hours, going 14-15 miles per hour. When on an intermediate ride, you should also expect hills, probably not 10-mile long variety, but climbs that make you breathe harder and remind you what your legs are there for. We ended up doing an average of about 11-12 mph which was perfect to keep everyone together.

The sun was warm and the air, cool and the twists, turns and elevations of the foothills of Ahwatukee provided just enough work so everyone could feel challenged. I could see the determination on everyone's faces as they pedalled up Pecos Road and the teeth-gritting pain when mashing up the telegraph pass--all were awash though with the joy of speed when zooming on the downhill. One even remarked, "That (downhill) was totally worth the work going up!"

During the leisurely portions of the route, we talked about hand signals, other rides, about wanting to ride more often, with more people in more exciting places. At the end of the ride, each of the women thanked us for not dropping them on the ride, for the information, the route. They were so appreciative for the support and the experience. Truth be told though, what each of them gave me was far more valuable. I made four new friends. Even more, though, I had a chance to reflect on where I was four years ago--filled with trepidation on the way to each new ride; self conscious about making everyone wait for me; worried about falling; and on and on. I remembered all of the very kind people who waited for me, gave me information, taught me how to survive the hills and most of all, encouraged me to keep coming.

And because I did, my life was changed.

No comments:

What are you waiting for? Come out and join us...