Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Something about Charlie...


What can one really say about a guy who rides a fixed gear on training rides, rides back and forth from the front of the group to the back of the group even when the 'group' is often miles apart, rides his bike TO the training ride meeting point even when it's 30+miles from his house and rides HOME, contributes thousands to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, shows up every single weekend with patience and understanding AND has the brightest smile on his face no matter what?


They just don't make 'em like that anymore. Charlie Gerhardt is a friend to me and to riders everywhere. If you haven't met him and you ride, you MUST meet him. His passion and love of riding is contagious and just seeing him on a weekend ride can make you want to be a better cyclist or at least complain less about hills and wind.
A person who musters the courage to come to his or her first training ride often arrives unprepared for what lies ahead. Regardless of the instruction provided through the email or invite, it is very common for these newbies to come without having eaten, without enough water, riding a heavy hybrid or mountain bike or a road bike that was popular when Reagan was president. Or sometimes the converse is true, the newcomer is completely outfitted with the finest equipment, gear and clothing and hasn't ridden more than six miles around the neighborhood. Sometimes, these folks show up with a healthy helping of ego as well. No matter which is true, Charlie treats every single person with his same respect and provides the same gentle advice to each person.
But one more sweet thing about Charlie is he comes as part of a package. Sue, his wife, shows up on weekends with an SUV full of goodies. She is prepared with a bike rack, a cooler of gatorade, a cooler of water, bananas, fig bars and most of the time, she even bakes homemade oatmeal cookies for the riders. Her sunny face and sweet disposition is just what a tired rider loves to see after battling a brutal wind as we did last Sunday or slogged up a peak that Charlie referred to at the beginning of the ride as a little bump. Sue is an angel to cyclists and anyone who shows up for a Sunday training ride knows what I mean.
And, when one of the knuckleheads that does not heed his well-delivered advice and winds up looking like a dying sparrow, Charlie is there again to help. Having been that knucklehead myself, I remember the time I showed up to ride for the first time and hadn't eaten a single thing. After 10 miles or so, I knew death was near as I felt like I was going to have dry heaves, I could swear I could hear the angels playing harps around me and I had NO idea how I was going to get back from the bottom of Pecos Road since the way back presented about three miles of gently ascending asphalt. Being totally unprepared and without any food or gatorade, Charlie made sure I ate and drank some gatorade, instructed me to pour water on the back of my neck and waited until that death feeling had passed. Without any judgment or ridicule, he then instructed me to saddle-up and get back on the bike. Humiliated and angry with myself for believing I could ever do this crazy sport, I protested. I was going to call home and get a ride...but he wouldn't hear of it. So, for three miles, he pushed me, riding alongside me telling me: "I'll keep pushing as long you keep pedaling." I'll never forget it. That was two years ago and cycling has since become one of the most significant parts of my life. I was just foolish enough or wise enough to return for more punishment the following week, thanks to the kindness and help of a man who is more comfortable on two wheels than on two feet.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay mom!!! and now you've got me started! i am excited to have a ride with charlie so he can help me as he helped you.
thanks :)

Pat said...

I am very proud of both, you and Chelsea, and thankful to Charlie for being there for you.

What are you waiting for? Come out and join us...