Monday, January 3, 2011

I am ambivalent about my slippers...

You might wonder why I am ambivalent about my Ugg slippers. Seriously, what did they ever do to not be fully embraced? Sure, they are Uggs, not really glitzy or very feminine. In fact, one might say they are downright ugly what with their scuffed hide and he-man looking woolen cuffs. There are many more attractive slippers that also can keep one warm, that's for sure.

But the sheer appearance of these Ugg slippers has nothing to do with my ambivalence toward them.

Since my accident in August, I have been learning to walk again. I am now the proud stepper of someone who no longer relies on a cane to get around. I can walk, on my own, putting one foot in front of another. I don't lose my balance, I have minimal swelling around my recontructed ankle that had been spun from facing forward to attempting to walk to the left on its own and, most of the time and I can walk heel-to-toe after warming up my aging, patched up bones.

My Ugg slippers are seductive in the guise of practicality: they provide me with the stability to walk while keeping my feet warm. Each day that I keep my feet warmed inside these Uggs, is one more day I don't attempt to don the shoes of a grown-up consultant seeking additional clients or seeking business for the clients I already have. Each day I slip into my Uggs is one more day I avoid putting on my Specialized racing shoes to see if I can stuff my Size 11 Frankenstein-ish looking foot into it and 1. Will it fit in them again and 2.Will it find its home in cycling shoes once again.

I have been able to find patience over the years for children learning to potty train, for fingers learning new keyboards, for employees learning new skills and for doctors who have overbooked appointments. Finding the patience for my ankle to decide it's ready to conquer old things that are like new again has been a hunt for which I have experienced more obstacles. The alternative is foolish abandon and snubbing reality which could lead to prolonged impatience.

In the meantime, I have vowed to do those things I CANdo with full on enthusiasm--trading my Uggs for sneakers is where I am today.

1 comment:

buffyaz said...

What a wonderful, amazing story of recover, hope and patience!!! I had an injury in October while training for a half marathon, (not nearly as serious). I understand taking baby steps, and being grateful for those steps!!!! I have since taken up cycling and absolutely love it. I hope you keep making progress toward clipping in!! Hope to see you at Global sometime!

What are you waiting for? Come out and join us...